Wednesday 17 December 2014

Wedding Wednesday - Percival Richardson & Edith Waby



One of my (many!) on-going areas of research is that of the Richardson brothers and how they faired during the First World War.

My 2x Great-Uncle Percival Richardson was with the Royal Engineers in WW1 and I know he survived the war but I didn't know what happened to him afterwards.




A few weeks ago, I found a BMD (Births, Marriages and Deaths) reference, via FreeBMD, to a possible marriage for him.  Certificates cost £9.25 at the moment, so it's an expensive mistake if it isn't the correct person, although sometimes you have to order an incorrect one just to eliminate possible matches.

Fortunately when it arrived it showed his father as Robert and the address I have for the family at Berridge Road West in Nottingham also matched.

Percival married Edith Waby at the Registry Office, Nottingham, on the 31st August 1922.  Her father was John William Waby, a gardener.




As well as moving my research on Percival a little further, the marriage certificate has also helped solve another problem. The witnesses to the marriage were William and Robert (Fred) Richardson, two of Percival's older brothers. Up to finding this information I hadn't known whether William survived the war.  I had found a possible match in the Lincolnshire Regiment who died in 1914, but hadn't been able to corroborate this.

So now I know he survived I can carry on looking.

(Follow Up Post)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda B said...

Well done you, another research success :-)

17 December 2014 at 12:53  
Blogger https://carolineschroniclesblog.wordpress.com said...

Thank you, Mrs B!

17 December 2014 at 17:59  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home